Federal Reserve officials are set to shift down the pace of interest-rate hikes again in the coming week amid signs of slowing inflation , while Friday's jobs report may show steady demand for workers that improves the chances of a soft landing for the world's largest economy. Policy makers are poised to raise their benchmark federal funds rate by a quarter percentage point on Wednesday, to a range of 4.5% to 4.75%, dialing back the size of the increase for a second-straight meeting. The move would follow a slew of recent data suggesting the Fed's aggressive campaign to slow inflation is working. "I expect that we will raise rates a few more times this year, though, to my mind, the days of us raising them 75 basis points at a time have surely passed," Philadelphia Fed President Patrick Harker said in a Jan. 20 speech. "Hikes of 25 basis points will be appropriate going forward." Key questions for Fed Chair Jerome Powell at his post-meeting press conference will be how much higher the central bank intends to raise rates, and what officials need to see before pausing. Fed officials have made clear they also want to see evidence that supply… Read full this story
- Fed rate hike to have bigger impact on some EMs, not US: Arvind Sanger, Geosphere Capital
- Rajan maintains status quo; inflation to determine rate hike
- UPDATE 2-Turkish central bank slashes rates below 20% in first shift since crisis
- What will justify an interest rate rise in November?
- Federal Reserve lowers interest rates for first time in more than a decade
- UPDATE 2-Morocco holds interest rate, cuts reserve rate to free liquidity
- Twist or stick: two sides of the vital interest rate decision facing UK
- Fall in migration after Brexit could push up inflation, says Carney
- Trump heaps pressure on Federal Reserve over interest rate rise
- RBI cuts repo rate by 25 bps, changes stance to 'accommodative'; raises hopes for more cuts
Fed set to shrink rate hikes again as inflation slows have 319 words, post on bfsi.economictimes.indiatimes.com at January 30, 2023. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.