KARACHI: The Pakistani rupee Wednesday fell further against the US dollar after the exchange companies removed the unofficial cap on the greenback, hoping to dent the grey market. The rupee closed at 243 against the dollar, falling 2.25 or 0.92%, the Exchange Companies Association of Pakistan (ECPA) said in a statement, compared with a range of 237.75-240 at the close on Tuesday. In the interbank market, according to the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), the greenback closed at 230.89 and lost 0.58 or 0.21% of its value, compared with Tuesday’s close of 230.40. The move towards the market-based exchange was a prerequisite of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) — and the move should help Pakistan unlock the lender’s stalled bail-our programme. Finance Minister Ishaq Dar’s attempts to defend the rupee — including currency market intervention — were counter to the global lender’s advice. In a bid to dent the grey market and bring customers towards legitimate channels, the ECAP said late Tuesday it was lifting the cap on the currency. “There was artificial demand in the market as people would buy the dollar from us and sell it in the grey market,” the association’s statement mentioned, highlighting the impact of… Read full this story
- Markets now see a 90% chance Fed will cut rates this month after weak services data
- Asian markets fall as US ignites new trade war with Europe
- EMERGING MARKETS-Latam FX jumps as dollar slides on dire U.S. data; stocks fall
- Asian currencies rise as markets 'fully loaded' for Fed rate cut
- Why Dollar Dominance Drops to Lowest Since 2013
- GLOBAL MARKETS-After bruising week, global stocks make fragile gains ahead of U.S jobs data
- EMERGING MARKETS-Latam FX firm as weak U.S. data dents dollar
- What Will Breaking Up Big Tech Take—and Could It Spell Disaster for Marketers?
- FOREX-Dollar on back foot after U.S. service sector survey fans recession worries
- Pound LIVE: GBP treading water against euro and US dollar as Brexit deadline looms
Rupee falls 0.92% against dollar in open market after exchange cap removal have 317 words, post on www.thenews.com.pk at January 25, 2023. This is cached page on Vietnam Colors. If you want remove this page, please contact us.